New Teacher: Ms. Cummings

Rachel Piazza, Writer

Shawnee is excited to welcome Ms. Cummings to our Social Studies staff!

Ms. Cummings attended Cherokee High School, where she played soccer and basketball. Although she graduated from our sister school, she says she’s “proudly wearing blue now.”

Ms. Cummings continued to play soccer in college, even playing for the Division I Women’s Soccer team at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY. She started to study business at Marist before changing her path to education. Her desire to become an educator was likely influenced by her parents, who were both teachers. “I always knew that I wanted to have an impactful career,” Ms. Cummings expressed.

Now, she is a US II and World Civilization Social Studies teacher at Shawnee. In addition to that, she is the Assistant Varsity Girls Soccer Coach and coach for Freshman Girls Basketball. She was once a high school student on sports teams, and now she is coaching girls who are in that same position. She had a passion for educating others, and that got her to her current position– a role model.  “I think it is so important to be passionate about what you are going to do for the rest of your life,” says Ms. Cummings, “and I definitely found that with teaching!”

Ms. Cummings not only loves teaching, but she enjoys being active as well. She likes outdoorsy type activities and playing sports. When she isn’t out and about, you will find her watching sports on TV or at a game.

An ironic fact about Ms. Cummings is that she has two cats named Marbles and Bryce– but she’s totally a dog person!

When asked for her favorite food, she responded with “This is the HARDEST question,” clearly indicating that she is a die-hard fan of food. Settling with a tie, she decided upon cold pizza and mashed potatoes as her #1 foods.

This year is going to be a good one, and the Shawnee students and staff welcome Ms. Cummings with open arms and cold pizzas!