Netflix’s ‘The Politician’: To Binge or Not to Binge?

Emmeline Weimer, Writer

Netflix recently released a new original called The Politician. It is a heart-warming and dramatic show about the show’s main character Payton, portrayed by Ben Platt. It shows the ups and downs of the race for student body president. It’s written by Ryan Murphy, who also wrote the Fox show Glee. Like Glee, this show includes the drama-filled life of your everyday teenager. It is very binge-worthy, and you’ll fall in love with the characters.

Ben Platt has also starred in many Broadway shows such as The Book of Mormon and, most famously, Dear Evan Hansen. If you’re not into Broadway, don’t worry! Platt was also starred in Pitch Perfect as well. Gwenyth Paltrow, famous for her role as Pepper Potts in the Marvel movies, is also featured on the show as Payton’s mom, Georgina Hobart. The cast and crew are everything you could hope for regarding experience and portrayal of the characters.

Another remarkable character is Infinity Jackson, played by Zoey Deutch. Deutch’s character in the show is shown to have cancer. On top of this, Infinity’s grandmother, who is her only legal guardian, is suffering from Munchausen’s. This struggle adds an extra plotline to the story, making the show overall more dramatic and addictive.

The show includes many adaptations on various songs, such as “River” originally by Joni Mitchell and “Vienna” originally by Billy Joel. If you want to watch the show, you can find it on Netflix under the categories “Drama” and “LGBTQ.” Currently, only eight episodes are available, although they are currently shooting season 2 of the show. If you’re looking for a new show to watch, I highly recommend this one.