5 Things You Need To Know, Week of 3/6/17

Sean Etter and Eric Schubert

Shawnee’s administration has rolled out a new school-wide weekly announcements strategy, addressing into the reported fact that most students do not pay attention to the numerous announcements made through the morning and throughout the day, as suggested by many teachers.

Shawnee Principal Mr. Campbell answered my question as to the reasoning behind getting this started. He told me that “The 5 Things you need to know is an attempt to make sure the critical information is being heard by students and staff. The information has been going out through a variety of mediums; PA announcements, morning show, and social media but I am still hearing that the message is not being received. We felt that the classroom teacher delivering information would be the best way to so this.”

As stated by Mr. Campbell, this new strategy is a list of five key things that the administration wants students to know for that week, read in the first few minutes of your first class on the first day of the week. How effective this will be in getting information out to students is yet to be analyzed, but in my eyes, I think it is a great alternative to the daily announcements. Announcements will of course still be made every day when needed, but this list compresses the information into a top list of key things and events that are going on around Shawnee for all to read and know to get vital information out to students quickly and efficiently.

So, without further ado, here are the 5 Things You Need to Know this week at Shawnee High School:

1. There will be a mandatory freshman assembly on Wednesday, March 8th (a Day 4) during Lunch and Learn at 10:45 am.
  2. The Senior Pinning Ceremony will take place on Wednesday, March 8th at 6:30 pm. Seniors, please RVSP as soon as possible in the Shawnee Main Office.
  3. The Shawnee Color Run for Cancer is on April 8th at 9:00 am. Registration ends on March 27th online @ ShawneeMSCR.eventbrite.com
  4. Cooper Trauma Trips: Anyone interested in  attending Cooper Trauma trips during the 2017/18 school year has to sign up in the Counseling Center by June 1st.
  5. Finally, the “Shawnee’s Staff’s Got Talent” talent show will be held on Thursday, March 16th at 7 pm in the Shawnee Auditorium. Tickets are $5 and will be sold at the door.

Those are the most important things you need to know for this week. Have a great week, Renegades!