“Sister Act” Shawnee Musical Preview

Sean Etter, Editor-in-Chief

Peter Pan. Oklahoma. Les Miserables. Footloose. Every winter here at Shawnee, the members of the All School Musical drama club work hard to perform different shows for our community. This year is no different, as the cast and crew of students and teachers are currently making the final preparations for this year’s show, Sister Act.

Sister Act is a Broadway musical comedy adapted from the movie of the same name that starred comedian/actress Whoopi Goldberg. It’s full of laugh-out-loud humor, lovable characters and soulful music that will make the audience want to get up and clap along.

The show, set in Philadelphia during the ‘70s, is about an aspiring singer named Deloris Van Cartier. After she witnesses her boyfriend, Curtis, murder someone, Deloris goes into witness protection. She is forced to hide out in a local church, which is on the verge of bankruptcy, and pretend to be a nun. She instantly finds herself at odds with Mother Superior, the strict head nun of the church who disapproves of Deloris as she is completely unfit to be a nun. When Deloris gets involved with the nuns’ choir, she finds a way to make her stay a lot more enjoyable and help out the failing church.

This year’s All School Musical is directed by Mrs. Gina Kehl, with vocal direction by Mr. Robert Joubert and a live pit orchestra directed by Mr. Jim Sheffer.

Many of the lead roles in Sister Act have been double-cast, meaning different actors will be playing the same part on different days. Sophia Chryssofos and Jena Ziomek star as Deloris, with Jenna Giordano and Megan Bryan as Mother Superior, Sam Morrell and Scott Hoover as Officer Eddie Souther, and Jacob Engime and Christian Iannuzzelli as Curtis.

The show dates are February 24th, 25th, and March 2nd, 3rd, and 4th at 7pm in the Shawnee auditorium, with a matinee performance on February 25th at 2pm. Tickets are $12 and will be sold at the box office in Shawnee’s atrium the night of the shows. You can reserve tickets online now at the All School Musical page on Shawnee’s website (under the “activities” tab), or by using this link: http://www.lrhsd.org/Page/1313