The Foods Classes are Cooking!

Olivia Jordan, Staff Writer

The Foods and Nutrition 1 and Intro to Family and Consumer Sciences classes were busy this week creating their delicious recipes.

“I sincerely enjoy watching my students come alive and pull together as a team to complete a recipe.  I am so proud of them!” bragged Ms. Amy.

Foods 1 made Italian Wedding Soup, which included fresh carrots, celery, onions, spinach, and meatballs and was topped with Parmesan cheese. The entire school smelled like delicious homemade chicken soup.

Fernando De La Rosa commented, “I always have fun in Ms. Amy’s class. I learn new skills every time we cook. I like that she gives us new and healthy recipes to make.”

Jack Kelly, “The food we make is good–except for egg dishes, I don’t like eggs. The soup this week smelled mouth-watering.”

The Introduction to Family and Consumer Sciences classes showed off their knife skills by creating decorative vegetable trays with homemade Ranch dressing. Each student got the opportunity to use the chef’s knife.

Sophomore, Alexa Miriana said, “It was interesting to learn how to cut vegetables. There are very few other classes in the school that teach you hands-on skills that you use throughout your whole life.”

Sophomore Emmy Rickards stated, “It was scary to use the knives at first. I thought Ms. Amy was going to cut her hand when she demonstrated how to use them, but after the lab, I felt more comfortable cutting the vegetables.”

Students enjoy the classes and ask almost every time they come into the class if they are cooking that day. The next unit is on water and phytochemicals and the students will be making super green smoothies.

Italian Wedding Soup

Serves 4-5 / Total time: 25 minutes

Meatballs:                                                                    Soup:

½ lb ground beef                                                          1 T. vegetable or olive oil

1 egg, slightly beaten                                                   ½ c. of thinly chopped carrots

2 Tablespoons breadcrumbs                                      ½ c. of thinly chopped celery

1 Tablespoon parmesan cheese                                ½ c. of onion diced finely

½ teaspoon dried basil                                                1 clove of garlic, minced

½ teaspoon onion powder                                          6 cups of broth

2 cups of spinach, chopped large

Directions:                                                                  ½ c. uncooked orzo pasta

1. In a medium bowl combine, meat, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, basil & onion powder; shape into 3/4″ balls.
  2. Chop carrots, celery, onion, and garlic into small pieces.
  3. Wash/rinse the spinach in a large bowl of cold water and drain.
  4. In large pot, sauté carrot, celery, onion, and garlic in oil until onion is tender
  5. Add broth and heat to boiling; stir in spinach, orzo, & meatballs.
  6. Return to boil; reduce heat to medium.
  7. Cook at slow boil for 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
  8. Stir frequently to avoid sticking.
  9. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.