The Renegade Report

• January 24Stay tuned to the Renegade Report for Shawnee news.

• January 24Every Friday is Blue Pride Friday! Wear your blue & Shawnee gear.

Morning Sweet Potatoes Recipe

Back to Article
Back to Article

Morning Sweet Potatoes Recipe

Rachel Piazza

Living with food sensitivities can feel like a losing battle. Do you find yourself struggling with flare ups, intestinal issues, joint pains, migraines, or even rashes? Does food you crave make things worse?

You’re not alone.

Whether you struggle with an autoimmune disease, IBD, IBS, lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance, or food allergies, it can be difficult to find ways to eat healthily and happily.

This recipe is for those who can’t have the traditional bacon and eggs, but want a fun and flavorful breakfast.

I’ve constructed this recipe with nutrient-dense foods that will make you feel good without eating dull oatmeal. This recipe is beneficial for anyone, not just those with dietary restrictions. This breakfast is gluten and dairy free, nut free, vegan, there are no cruciferous vegetables, and it doesn’t taste like cardboard!

Each ingredient has its own health benefits.

1. 2 cups sweet potatoes, chopped
  2. 1 cup densely packed kale with no stems
  3. ½ cup diced red onion
  4. 1 small avocado
  5. 1 ½ cups chopped tomato (optional- tomatoes are inflammatory and should be avoided by people with IBD, auto-immune, and other disorders that cause inflammation)
  6. A pinch of cayenne pepper  
  7. Garlic powder
  8. Black pepper and salt (optional)

Sweet potatoes are loaded in fiber, which helps digestion. There are lots of vitamins and minerals in sweet potatoes, like iron, calcium, selenium (balances metabolism), and vitamins B and C. This food is high in antioxidant beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the liver when consumed. Pro-tip: adding the olive oil to the potatoes just before serving will increase absorption of beta-carotene. In addition to all of those benefits, sweet potatoes are one of the only potatoes not in the night shade inflammatory group.

Kale is another nutrient dense ingredient, and is an antioxidant powerhouse. Antioxidants help you fight illnesses because they block free radicals, like particles from chemicals or cigarette smoke. This leafy green is also a source of fiber, protein, and vitamins A, C, and K. can help keep your bones healthy, which can subsequently ease joint pain, and even help arthritis and osteoporosis.  

Avocado is dense in good fats, specifically monounsaturated fats, which lower cholesterol and reduce risks of heart disease. Another heart healthy food is cayenne pepper. Cayenne is an instant blood flow stimulant, which aids in circulation and heart health.

Garlic is one of the most powerful cancer fighting foods. In addition to clearing skin, lowering blood pressure, protecting from free radicals and heavy metals, garlic also strengthens the immune system, which helps you fight against disease.

Onions contain necessary amino acids and folic acids (another B vitamin) which helps with brain health, including depression, development, epilepsy and memory. Onions are healthy cooked or raw, but raw onion contains more sulfur compounds, which protect against cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.

These ingredients are loaded in nutrients. Now to cook them!

This is a single person serving.

1. Get a small pot and fill it with water. Boil the sweet potatoes for 10 minutes. While they are boiling, prepare all other ingredients.
  2. When the sweet potatoes are boiled but not soggy, transfer them to a pan covered in olive oil. Saute for about 5-7 minutes, until golden.
  3. Put tomatoes (optional) and onions into the same pan. Saute for about 3 minutes.
  4. Add the kale and avocado and saute for about 2 minutes.
  5. Add the potatoes back into the pan, keeping the other vegetables there.
  6. Sprinkle garlic powder all over– don’t afraid to be generous!
  7. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, a couple pinches of salt and black pepper (optional). Mix ingredients until golden.
  8. Enjoy!

This is perfect for weekend mornings, or even Sunday Brunch! This meal will leave you feeling not only full and energized, but inspired to eat well, too.