LRHSD Teacher of the Year

Eric Schubert, Editor

Shawnee’s own Mrs. Johnston was recently named the 2019-2020 LRHSD Teacher of the Year!

Graduating from Shawnee in 2002, Mrs. Johnston is a Rowan graduate who came back to the district and has been here at Shawnee for the past twelve years. Eight of those twelve years, she has coached girls soccer, winter track, and lacrosse.

Upon receiving the Teacher of the Year award, Mrs. Johnston stated that “It is both humbling and an honor to be recognized as Teacher of the Year. As a former student of the district, I have been fortunate to be able to work alongside some of the same amazing teachers who taught me, as well as impressive new colleagues; all of whom continue to help me grow and become the teacher and person I am today. I would not be receiving this award without all of the support and guidance from family, friends, colleagues, and students.”

The Shawnee website states that “the colleagues who nominated Johnston for Teacher of the Year praised her student-centered and energetic classroom, where students feed off of her enthusiasm and passion. They also characterized her as a true team player and caring person, who is willing to help out any student or staff member with any request.”

She was also recently recognized by South Jersey Magazine as a top educator.

Congratulations to Mrs. Johnston!